I have an old SQLite 2.8 database that shared it's schema with
PostgreSQL. One of the nifty things about PostgreSQL (that admittedly
has me spoiled) is the ability to just say "varchar" without any
length specifier.

Specifying "varchar" in SQLite works great - no problem at all. Until
I tried to use it with ODBC. The SQLite ODBC driver works fine but
assumes a 255 character limit. As soon as it returns a result longer
than 255 it blows an error.

I see in the SQLite ODBC driver's documentation that it does support >
255 varchar fields but I _assume_ have to specify that it's > 255 in
the schema.

Now comes the fun part. I'm converting these databases (and there are
a LOT of them), I'm doing "sqlite OLD.DB .dump | sqlite3 NEW.DB" which
works flawlessly. Is there any way to change the schema on the fly to
say "Varchar(1024)" instead of just "varchar" (or just use an SQLite
'type' of "text") ?

--
- Mitchell Vincent
- K Software - Innovative Software Solutions