>The main purpose of the journal is so that if the program
>or OS crashes or there is a power failure, once the machine
>reboots and some other process tries to read the database,
>the other process can see the journal and roll it back.
>Private anonymous mapped objects defeat that purpose, it
>would seem.

I thought the purpose was to prevent corruption in the main
database.  If you assume the power fails, or some other
program disaster occurs, it doesn't really matter if the
last transaction was made persistant or not.  It's just
like the power failed a few seconds sooner.

So as long as sqlite is still safe if a journal file is deleted
after a restart, I don't think there's a problem.