Hi Puneet,

I probably shouldn't have said that they 'ignore' the blanks, but they are
capable of treating them as white space for text matching purposes.  I can't
speak for Oracle, but I'm pretty sure MySQL and SqlServer (and I know for
sure DB2) all allow you to search on 'A' and they will return records for 'A
' or 'A      ', etc.  I think it is intuitive to treat trailing blanks as
whitespace, but that might be because of my main experience with DB2/400.

One difference, of course, is that these other databases allow you to define
character fields with lengths, as opposed to just TEXT.  I suppose that
inherently means that TEXT is literal (meaning that it recognizes the blank
as its ASCII character), where a CHAR(35) field would know, within the
context of its defined length, how many trailing blanks it could ignore.

I thought about the like idea, but 'AA' is potentially valid as well, so
ultimately that will create its own problems.  And in this particular case,
this one is a key fields, so EQUAL matching is pretty necessary.

I do think more and more that the solution for me is to trim the trailing
blanks before INSERTing them into SQLite.

Thanks for your input,

--
Joel Cochran
Stonewall Technologies, Inc.

On 3/26/07, P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 3/26/07, Joel Cochran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I am new to SQLite, so I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question,
but
> I searched the Internet, the archives, and the help docs and could not
find
> any mention of this.
>
> I am populating an SQLite database from a legacy IBM AS/400
database.  The
> 400 stores all character fields with padded blanks.  As a result, when I
> export the data the blanks remain.  Normally this is not a problem, but
> noticed in SQLite when I do a select statement the MYFIELD = 'A' will
not
> work if the data is in fact 'A ' (a trailing blank).

Try MYFIELD LIKE 'A%'

> SQLite apparently does not ignore trailing blanks on character matching
like
> other DBs do.

I am not sure they do. I am speaking from memory, but I am pretty sure
that both SQL Server and Oracle don't just ignore blanks.

Nelson Inst. for Env. Studies, UW-Madison http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation http://www.osgeo.org/education/