Hello Scott,

I have several clarifications with respect to full text search. I'm a newbie in
open source development, so please bear with me if some of the questions are
irrelevant/obvious/nonsense.

I was given to understand that the potter stemming algorithm implemented in
fts2 is not robust enough (or rather snowball is more accurate). If fts2(or 3)
has to be made more robust, then what should be the next step. The following
url (I thought) gave the steps to follow rather succinctly:

http://web.njit.edu/~wu/teaching/CIS634/GoodProjects/AccessLisa/documentation.php

At what stage would n-gram kick in (I assume n-gram would be in conjunction to
snowball/potter). Which would be a good n-gram algorithm to implement.

Finally, what's the rationale in having sqlite's own search. Why not use
something like luceneC?

Thanks in advance

Uma

Scott Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Porter stemmer is already in there.  The
main issue with Porter is
that it's English only.

There is no general game-plan for fuzzy search at this time, though if
someone wants to step into the breech, go for it!  Even a prototype
which demonstrates the concepts and problems but isn't
production-ready would be worth something.

My current focus for the next generation is international support
(this is more of a Google Gears project, but with focus on SQLite so
there is likely to be stuff checked in on the SQLite side), and more
scalable/manageable indexing.  Not a lot of focus on things like
quality and recall, mostly because I'm not aware of any major users
with enough of an installed baseline to even generate decent metrics.
[Basically, solving concrete identified problems rather than looking
for ill-defined potential problems.]

-scott