From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 3:45 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Adding additional operators to FTS3

"Scott Hess" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One thing I'll think on in the background as a how-to-integrate
> question is the balance between sophistication for query experts
> versus the approachability for non-experts.  For some systems, having
> things like proximity queries complicates the query language to no
> particular end, while in other systems proximity queries might be
> essential.  Insofar as more sophisticated query forms don't interfere
> with simpler forms, they can just be ignored, but it would be nice if
> they didn't crop up in warts like unexpected results for a search
> 'stoplight near krispy kreme' where you no longer find documents where
> stoplight is more than 10 terms away from krispy.  We've discussed
> having the ability to express both more ad-hoc and more stylized
> queries, maybe this is something to think about along those lines.

The OR operator has to be all caps in order to be recognized as
an operator and not the word "or".  Presumably the NEAR operator
would work the same way.  That would minimize the chance of a
collision with the word "near".  We might also require the "/10"
after the NEAR keyword or else it goes back to just being the
token "near" and not an operator.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>