From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 1:50 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Adding additional operators to FTS3

"Samuel R. Neff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The /10 syntax makes sense to programmers but I think users are going to
> forget it pretty quickly.  Same with "OR" an "NEAR" being required to be
all
> caps (I didn't know that).  Ideally the UI an application exposes would
show
> the user that OR and NEAR were interpreted as keywords and not tokens (of
> course that's up to individual application developers and not an issue for
> sqlite/fts).

Go to http://www.google.com/ and type in "sqlite or lemon".  Press
"Search".  You'll get a nice little reminder that you need to
uppercase "OR" to search for either of two items.  FTS is not
the only full-text search engine that requires you to uppercase
OR...

Most casual users don't know that you can do a phrase search, or
an OR search, or a negated term search in Google or in any other
search engine.  They just type in a bunch of words and expect
it to work right.  So the main objective of the UI is to stay
out of the way of the casual user and do not surprise them with
special syntax.  If you want to go beyond casual keyword searching,
I do not think it is too much to require NEAR/10 (how else does
it know you don't mean NEAR/15?) or uppercase OR.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>