From: Daan van der Sanden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 3:06 PM
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Subject: [sqlite] Re: Merge two rows/records

Thanks for the quick reply!

Simon Davies writes:
> > sqlite> select a,b,sum(c),sum(d) from foo group by a,b;
> >
> > gives you the data you are after. This could be used to populate
> > another table via
> >
> > sqlite> insert into newFoo select a,b,sum(c),sum(d) from foo group
by
> > a,b;
> >
> > Of course, if you can get the data you want from your existing table
> > using a simple query, you may not actually need a new table.

At the moment I've got a database with values gathered from multiple
inputs that generated "duplicate entries" for the "what should be
unique"
a,b combination. So I was wondering if they could be "easily" merged
without creating a new table.

Now I'm going to first copy all unique samples to a new database and
then
insert the summed values using the given query. But this solution seems
bit awkward, since I'm copying 6 million unique records to a new
database
and adding a small 22.000 records that are summed. So that's why I was
wondering if it could be done in the same table.

I hope my problem is a bit clearer now.

Kind regards
Daan