Hello Joe Wilson,

>> True, but we would need to access unsupported API to do so. And as we know
>> only too well,
>> unsupported API is subject to change without notice any time ;-). Therefore
>> I would rather not
>> write these myself but ask for the possibility to add them to the library
>> officially, even if
>> "experimental" only.
>
>Then you'll be waiting forever.
>
>If you post a patch implementing the feature, at least some
>other like-minded programmers might get some benefit from it,
>or at least generate some feedback.

The simple patch is not enough. To have any value, it must be supported and
tested for upcomming versions of SQLite. Using undocumented APIs always carries
the risk that the patch will break in the future, possibly staying unnoticed
until it caused serious problems to someone.

Dan's solution is safe in this regard, and should be preferred - even if using
unofficial API calls will certainly be faster.

Maybe we'll be lucky and will not be waiting forever!?

Ralf