On 30 Oct 2007 at 14:27, Trevor Talbot wrote:

> To help the conversation along a bit, phpMyAdmin is a web-based
> administrative and design interface for MySQL.  I don't use it so I
> don't know exactly what kind of searching the OP is looking for
> either, but at least we know the type of tool :)

Just so -- I'm sorry about the confusion [I'd assumed, incorrectly, that
my mention of phpMyAdmin would clarify what I was talking about].
Indeed: you can do *everything* from phpMyAdmin.  Rename tables,
add/delete columns, change column types [and names, of course], construct
SQL statements graphically, etc, etc.

The particular thing I was referring to was the search facility: you get
a GUI presentation of the columns of the table and indicate which ones,
and which search values, you care about and you get what we would call a
'view' of *just* those rows that match [so unlike from the command line,
you don't even need to get a WHERE clause that matches _exactly_ -- if it
just hits a few you just click the 'edit' icon on the one [or more] that
you really care about].  I can't remember the last time I needed to do
*anything* in terms of managing/editing/etc a MySQL database that
required that I fire up the command line interface.

  /Bernie\

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     Pearisburg, VA