Joe Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Yes, this does create problems for .dump/.load in the shell.
> > But, as has been pointed out, you can work around it using
> > a compile-time switch:
> >
> >     gcc -DSQLITE_MAX_SQL_LENGTH=1000000000 shell.c sqlite3.c -o sqlite3
> >
> > I should probably modify the makefile to do this automatically...
>
> It would be useful if this value could be set at runtime via PRAGMA or
> a function like sqlite3_set_max_sql_length().
>
> Why? An operating system (say, Mac OSX) may have only one shared
> libsqlite3.so and many programs using that shared library. It would be
> beneficial if they could all use the same shared library even though they
> require a different maximum SQL length.

I think those exceedingly rare programs that need a larger
SQL statement length limit can include their own copy of
sqlite3.c.  I does not take up that much space, after all.

Any ideas what (if any) limits there are on the length of
SQL statements in MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle?

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>