Well, I'm stuck.  If I use the CLI I get:

D:\dev\SQLite\3_4_1\Bin>sqlite3 myproj.db
SQLite version 3.4.1
Enter ".help" for instructions
sqlite> pragma synchronous=0;
SQL error: database is locked
sqlite> .quit

However, I find I can copy the database and journal and do the same thing on
the copy and everything works perfectly (journal file disappears).  It would
appear something does have a lock on the original file.  I've moved it twice
to different directories (to ensure my app, which isn't running, can't find
it).  I've rebooted twice (it's Windows), and run SysInternal's Handle app
which shows all open files, and this file isn't open by anything.  Renaming
the original also has no effect.

Can a file lock survive a reboot?