Do you have readline installed on your Linux machine? If not download the package, configure and install. Then compile Sqlite with readline.

Fred J. Stephens wrote:
Just replaced SQLite v 3.42 on Kubuntu 7.10 with the new v3.45 binary
downloaded from sqlite.org. it works fine, but now I don't have the
(essential, to me) command history. I have searched the forums and
read that it requires readline. I do have /lib/libreadline.so.5.
I tried compiling from source but get errors, 137 if I remember
correctly. Tried editing the make file to enable readline and putting
in the path to the readline library, but I still get errors compiling.
Isn't readline support supposed to be automatically detected on Linux
by configure?

If I can't get this fixed, how likely is the possible  data corruption
problem that was corrected by 3.5.4?  Will I have to wait for the new
version to hit the Ubuntu repositories? Maybe I am spoiled by 3-4
years on Gentoo , in having the latest versions available, but if data
corruption is an issue I would like to use the new version.

Another curious thing is that the original binary for sqlite3 is only
about 32k, while this new one is 300k! The file command shows that
they are both dynamically linked and stripped, so I don't understand
the huge difference in size.

Any information appreciated