On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Martin Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Owens wrote:
>  > I've been lobbying Apress to release the book in electronic form for
>  > free. It's currently under consideration, but I've not heard anything
>  > back yet.
>  >
>  That seems a bit extreme - how about a user generated/funded index on
>  the web somewhere?
>  Download and print a PDF, stick it in the back of the book and...

I wasn't referring to releasing the book as an exclusive solution to
the index problem, but rather for the community and SQLite in general.
Fixing the index issue would just be a nice dividend. I am indebted to
Apress for picking up the book and putting substantial resources into
making it a good book (they truly made it a much better book than it
ever would have been otherwise), and I would like to see them recoup
their costs and benefit in any way they so desire. But I couldn't care
less for any gain on my part. I wrote the book for SQLite. Don't get
me wrong, I jumped at the chance to write a book when offered to me,
but my main concern is that the book helps people and furthers the
project. As long as I can avoid getting vilified on Amazon, I'm happy.
Ultimately, I would love to see this book turn out like the "Dive Into
Python" book, which is available online, or the
Subversion/Samba/Asterisk books. I think it is in keeping with the
open source philosophy. But the decision in this case is not mine
alone to make. Regardless of their decision, I applaud Apress for
their continued efforts in supporting books on open source software,
and the people who reward their efforts by purchasing them.

-- Mike