On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM, D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On May 14, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Peter K. Stys wrote:
>
> > I'm curious, when you say performance enhancements, does that include
> > improved R/W performance to/from remote volumes on OS X, which
> > presently
> > suffer serious (20-fold) speed issues.  I had a recent post on this.
> > If not, will 3.6.0 address this?
> >

> Performance on a remote volume is about 20x slower because the raw I/O
> capability of a network disk drive is about about 1/20th of a local
> disk drive.  There isn't anything much SQLite can do about that.

Dear Richard,

I would disagree with this, unless I misunderstand.  File copies (from the
Finder under OS X) to/from our Xserve run at about 50 MBytes/s or about 50%
of theoretical max on our Gbit LAN, whereas reading the records from the
same file via SQLite is 20-25x slower (≈2MB/sec at best, terrible
performance).  So there is plenty of raw I/O bandwidth across the LAN and
network drive, but for some reason SQLite access to its remote files is
extremely slow (to be clear: these are single users accessing single files).

In contrast SQLite R/W to local files runs at about 60% of raw binary file
access on a local volume, very acceptable (≈35MB/s vs. 60-70MB/sec).

So I don't understand why the huge performance hit (compared to other
network file access like Finder copies, not comparing remote vs. local) when
accessing remote SQLite files?  I could understand some slowdown because of
extra overhead with network operations, but 20-fold?

Peter.