On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  WORKAROUNDS:
>
>  Set SQLites page size to be much larger (PRAGMA page_size).
>    Makes SQLite deal with bigger chunks of data, reducing the overhead
>    percentage.  You'll very likely need to turn this up pretty high
>    to see significant changes.
>
>  Set SQLites page cache to be much larger (PRAGMA cache_size)
>    Reduces the number of I/O operations.  Great for lookups and sorts.
>    Not that useful for writes.  Depends a lot on how you use the DB.
>
>  Live dangerously and turn down/off disk syncing (PRAGMA synchronous).
>    Reduces the delay for writes.  Dangerous.
>
>  Or, brute force: Copy the file locally, do your stuff, copy it back.

Thank you all for your suggestions and explanations.  I now understand
better the complexity underlying networked volumes.

I tried:

      PRAGMA page_size = SQLITE_MAX_PAGE_SIZE
      PRAGMA cache_size = 1000000
      PRAGMA synchronous = OFF

(all executed before creating any tables)

There was no improvement in first read/write performance at all.

Looks like the brute force solution is the only answer here.

Cheers,
Peter.