Stephen Oberholtzer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:15 PM,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> One of the fields takes few values (say, company website id), but new
> ids
>> are
>> added from time to time.  I would prefer to dynamically create a set
>> of tables
>> when a new id shows up, for the improved locality of reference plus
>> reduced overhead from the website id and its non-unique index.
>

> This statement is really confusing me.  "New IDs are added from time
> time" sounds like "New IDs are added, but not very often" which
> conflicts
> with your "realtime" assertion.

Lots of new records are added, but a particular field in these records
takes on only a small number of distinct values. Occasionally - rarely -
a new value appears in this field that never appeared before. For
performance reasons (whether valid or imagined), the OP wants to keep a
set of records that all share the same value in this field in a separate
table, one for each possible value. This way, when a new such value
appears, a new table needs to be created.

Igor Tandetnik