On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 05:22:46PM -0500, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

>   count(*) is an odd one...  In most database systems it is extremely
>   fast, but in SQLite it tends to be rather slow.
>   [..]
>   If you search the archives, you'll find many discussions on the best
>   way to create a system table that keeps track of the number of rows
>   in each table via triggers.

The problem is, that it's not only about global number of records - I would
to have a possibility to quickly count number of records found by
conditional queries like: "select count(*) from table where <condition>".
Partially it can be solved by moving the task to the application (fetch,
then count list size), although not always I want to fetch all that data.
Sometimes I would just to count it.

It wasn't a problem, when I was counting several thousands of records - but,
as I can see, it will be inconvenient in the case of the larger table.
--
                                pozdrawiam / regards

                                                Zbigniew Baniewski