Christophe Leske <i...@multimedial.de> wrote:
> - how can SQlite be instructed to return search results which include
> special character in it?
> E.g. you search literally for "Zurich" on an englisch system and
> expect
> "Zürich" to be in the result set.

You write your own comparison function that would consider these two
strings equal. See sqlite3_create_function, sqlite3_create_collation.

> The next problem is that educated users might know that german Umlaute
> can be written out. The rules are simple:
>
> ä becomes "ae"
> ö becomes "oe"
> ü becomes "ue"
>
> So how would I go about filtering an educated user which looks for
> "Zuerich" and expects "Zürich" in the result set?

The same way.

> Best find on my behalf so far is to build a filter which replaces any
> occurence of "ae", "oe", "ue" with two placeholders ("%")

Why would you ever want two % in a row? A % matches zero or more of
arbitrary characters. You might be thinking of an underscore _.

> So far ,  so good, but my client also expects ANY simplification of a
> character to be recognized:
> Cote d'azur for instance  should return "Côte d'azur"
> or the Sao Paulo issue - how can a search for "Sao Paulo" return "Sào
> Paulo" in the result set?

How are these examples different from previous ones?

Igor Tandetnik