Thanks for replying

OK we have several tables for our assignment and for this particular
question we are asked

Q. Among the academics who have no papers, who has the greatest number of
interests..

I used the * just return all attributes to start with.

When I use

SELECT * , count( Au.AcNum ) AS num, count( i.AcNum ) AS num2
FROM academic a
LEFT OUTER JOIN author Au ON a.AcNum = Au.AcNum
LEFT OUTER JOIN interest i ON i.AcNUm = a.AcNum
GROUP BY A.AcNum
HAVING num =0

This gives me the academics with 0, that part seems to be working OK, I am
struggling on how to count the second part of the question..

Database looks like

Department(DeptNum, Descrip, Instname, DeptName, State, Postcode)
Academic(AcNum, DeptNum, FamName, GiveName, Initials, Title)
Paper(PaNum, Title)
Author(PaNum, AcNum)
Field(FieldNum, ID, Title)
Interest(FieldNum, AcNum, Descrip)