On 24 Jul 2009, at 2:51pm, Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

>  As an experienced user of SQLite, I guess I'd rather have the
>  developers working on great new database features, rather than build
>  scripts.

SQLite has enough fans that people are happy to build binaries for
major platforms.  If the SQLite web site will host those binaries, or
even just a page with URLs where you can find those binaries, that
makes 99.9% of users happy.  That includes me: for what I do all I
want is a '.h' header file and a '.a' library file.

It's the 1% that we're discussing here.  They want to customise their
copies or build with unusual settings, so they can't use standard
binaries.  Fortunately, half (?) the people who want to do this know
how to do it themselves: use 'make', or create a project in their
favourite IDE, or whatever.

So now we're down to one person in 2000 who needs a special build but
doesn't know enough to write makefiles, or set all the settings for
their favourite compiler, or whatever.  And they're really hard to
cater for because they all have different platforms, compilers, and
IDEs.  And popular as SQLite is it's not popular enough to have
experts on each one of these things.

So I think this mailing list does pretty well in dealing with such
people, considering that we have nobody paid to do it.  It's gonna
have to be like that for a while.  SQLite is trendy right now: lots of
cool new portable platforms need a tiny light SQL system.  People will
get by.

Simon.