On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, Itzchak Raiskin wrote:

> I want to use SQLite in a GIS application where I create a database
> containing terrain data (coordinates, height). I would like to query this
> database with start and end points of a line and get a vector with all
> heights point along this line. I can, of course create a query for each
> point along the line, but this will be very time consuming as I have
> hundreds of lines with hundreds of points. Any suggestions?

Itzik,

   Other responders have suggested how to query for specific lines, but that
will not fulfill the requirements of a GIS. You could create a
computer-aided drafting (CAD) application this way, but you need to
incorporate coodinate geometry if you want a spatial analytical tool. You
need to accommodate a single edge that defines adjacent polygons and store
the spatial relationship. SQLite is not the best tool for spatial
applications.

   I suggest that you look at PostGIS, OpenGIS, GRASS, and other
well-developed applications. Yes, they use PostgreSQL for the data storage
and can store geometric objects as data entities.

   You are, of course, welcome to reinvent the wheel, but I suggest that you
learn something about spatial databases and coordinate geometry if you want
an application that actually works.

Rich