On 15 Sep 2009, at 10:09pm, rschnitzer wrote:

> Also, now the additional question I have: is integrity_check known or
> believed to return false positives... so it's responses should not be
> strictly relied upon?

I raised that possibility not because I know that integrity_check
returns false positives, but because you suggested that your hardware
was so faulty that it might corrupt the database.  Faulty hardware is
just as likely to cause integrity_check to return a false positive as
it is to corrupt the database.  Faulty hardware can do all sorts of
bizarre things.  So if you think your database might become corrupt
you should take lots of other possibilities into account.

But your primary decision is about what should happen if
integrity_check does return a positive.  Under those circumstances
what do you want to happen ?  Should it just quit the application and
refuse to continue ?  Should it send an SMS to your mobile phone ?
Once you've made that decision you'll know more about how to conduct
your integrity_check.

Simon.