I recently had to import an Excel based database into an SQL database.  To
complicate the matters data was all over the place in each file (3 separate
tables in a single CSV file), and some numbers had commas (e.g. 8,253.45).

I used the Perl CSV module to read in each file (1500+) line at a time, get rid
of the commas, and account for empty records/columns, and build the SQL insert
statement for each table's data, and write all out to a single file of SQL
statements.  Afterward, just ran the SQL statements against the database.

Using the CSV module to handle the heavy lifting made it trivial.  The most
challenging part of the whole thing was to figure out the line numbers, and
column numbers of where the data was, used Vim for that :).

andy