If there were two flip() functions, Simon, a naive one that understands
nothing more than  raw codepoints, and a sophisticated one that is
"aware" of combined Unicode forms/graphemes, then the excellent would
not become the enemy of the good and the raw one could be put in place
without much to-do.

Tim Romano