On 25 Mar 2010, at 11:42am, Pavel Ivanov wrote:

> For me your sequence of commands clearly shows database file is badly
> managed by your Mac file system and/or network sharing mechanism.

Or by the client computer (which is running Windows).

The setup described by Mr. Dyer appears to involve a Mac client using advisory
locks and fsync(), and a Windows client using LockFile() and
FlushFileBuffers(), both at the same time on the same file.  These systems may
each be self-consistent but I wonder if they will interact in an appropriate
manner.

Another thing which may be connected to this problem is that one access to the
database is done via a network protocol but another access is done by directly
accessing the file on the computer's hard disk.  Generally, if one is running a
server the server only serves: all access to a shared file is performed through
a network protocol, not via access to the hard disk itself.  If SQLite changes
locking behaviour and uses different locking protocols the two clients are
going to handle locking differently.  I don't know enough about SQLite to know
if this is the case.  I started reading section 6 of lockingv3.html but my
brain exploded.

Simon.