On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:58:41AM -0700, Dave Dyer scratched on the wall:

> >AFAIK it's a general rule: don't use SQLite with database somewhere on
> >network shared file system, otherwise bad things can happen.
>
> That's definitely not the general rule.

  Yes it is-- for *networked* file systems.

  http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q5

        "People who have a lot of experience with Windows tell me that
        file locking of network files is very buggy and is not
        dependable. If what they say is true, sharing an SQLite
        database between two or more Windows machines might cause
        unexpected problems."

  http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html

        "...file locking logic of many network filesystems implementation
        contains bugs (on both Unix and Windows). If file locking does
        not work like it should, it might be possible for two or more
        client programs to modify the same part of the same database at
        the same time, resulting in database corruption. Because this
        problem results from bugs in the underlying filesystem
        implementation, there is nothing SQLite can do to prevent it."

  SQLite locked is very robust and dependable for multiple processes
  on the same machine accessing a single database on storage that is
  physically connected to that machine.

  All bets are off when talking about networked shares.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson