On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 08:37:23PM +0100, Kees Nuyt scratched on the wall:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:38:49 -0500, P Kishor
> <punk.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I must be in an alternate universe. So, I have turned off images in my
> >browser and I am looking at http://www.sqlite.org/lang_delete.html
>
> You are trying to find a formal syntax description in text.
> It's not there,

  I want to remind everyone that even the "railroad diagrams" are not a
  formal syntax specifier.  They're designed to be easy-to-understand
  documentation, and are not definitive.  They are not a specification.
  They are built and maintained apart from the formal grammar, and
  there are numerous differences.

  Speaking of which, the formal grammar can easily be found in a full
  source distribution.  It is far from an ideal place to try to learn
  SQL, but it is there.

  I think it may be more helpful to have some type of text-based
  representation, even if it is just an "ASCII art" version of the
  current diagrams.  I dislike the fact you can't keyword search across
  a page of graphic diagrams.

  I'd also point out that not all that long ago the docs were in
  pseudo BNF, and people went crazy when the diagrams showed up.  I
  appreciate the fact that the graphical representations have their
  limits, but overall I think they do a much better job at expressing
  the general syntax to a much larger audience.

  Depending on the limitations of the OP's vision, it is also trivial
  to modify the syntax of the diagram script so that it generates HUGE
  diagrams.  I realize that may still not help, but it may be an option
  for others.

   -j

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs.  We have
 a protractor."   "I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler
 and a piece of string."  --from Anathem by Neal Stephenson