The second problem is definitely related to the change in the
implementation of "pragma journal_mode" though I am not completely
sure how. The previous version of our code did

pragma encoding="UTF-8";
pragma auto_vacuum=incremental;
pragma journal_mode=truncate;

after opening the database file. When I change the code to

pragma main.journal_mode=truncate;
pragma encoding="UTF-8";
pragma auto_vacuum=incremental;

the problem doesn't happen anymore. Even if I use this code sequence
SQLite still tries to access the WAL file.

F.