On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Black, Michael (IS) <
> michael.bla...@ngc.com> wrote:
>
>> Was that a facetious remark???
>>
>> Rather than "here's a function/pragma that allows you to put the journal
>> file where you want -- but BE CAREFUL BECAUSE..."
>>
>> Writing you own VFS is not for the casual user...
>>
>> I was trying just to find where the journal filename was created but
>> there's no "db-journal" string in either the .h or .c file.
>>
>> It would be trivial to add a function to set it via the C interface.
>>

> Putting the rollback journal in any directory other than the same directory
> as the database file is an dangerous thing to do, because it risks being
> unable to locate the rollback journal after a crash, resulting in database
> corruption.  Hence, we have no intention of supporting such a feature.  If
> you really need it badly enough, you can write your own VFS to make it
> happen.  Yes, writing your own VFS is hard to do.  But this serves to
> discourage people from doing it, which is what we want.

Well, I'm wrong.  Turns out we are going to help you hang yourself after
all:  I forgot about these features:

     PRAGMA journal_mode=MEMORY;
     PRAGMA journal_mode=OFF;

Set one of those and you get no disk I/O from reading or writing the journal
file.  And you will corrupt your database on a crash.  On your own head be
it.