On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 7:16 PM, Dan Kennedy <danielk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Dan, don't know whether it is related, but I detected memory leak in
> > 3.7.2
> > related to handle count increasing.
>
> I think there will be one open handle for each 32KB of
> shared-memory space in use. Or put another way, one open
> handle for every 4000 pages in the WAL file. They should
> all be closed when all connections to the database within
> the process are closed.

Dan,
thank you for your explanation, it makes perfect sense if we calculate the
sizes and everything.

I tried to test till the sizes Michele mentioned, this time on Win7 64 bit,
I had almost perfect results, non-stopped appending till 1.7G and memory
size was never more than 50MB, so I'd suggest to Michele to check the code,
maybe there's a leak there not related to sqlite.

But as a side effect I got not expected result in other area, when I tried
to append 1,500,000 records to this 1.7G file having 5G of free space on the
disk, I got the error a user reported recently about win7 64bit, "Disk I/O
error". (http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users@sqlite.org/msg54935.html,
but this seems was not related to WAL)

While I wrote this e-mail, I tried to perform another test, 1,200,000
appends worked perfectly, the next series (without prior commit) failed
almost immediately with the same Disk I/O Error.Free size is still 3,7G, so
this was not related to the absence of free space. The size of shm file is
0xAC0000, and the section starting 0xAB8000 till the end filled with zeros.
Please let me know if anything would be helpful to know from these files, I
keep it in the state they were after the failure, I even did not perform
Commit and Close.

Max