Richard,

On 12/8/10 11:44 AM, "Richard Hipp" <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The pragma foreign_key_list appears to be deprecated in 3.7.4:
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_foreign_key_list
>
> Any reason for such deprecation?

Now that foreign key constraints are enforced natively, why would you want
to have a list of them?  Why should the foreign_key_list pragma continue to
consume code space and developer maintenance time?

Because it lets me introspect the schema, and write code (or code generators)
that depend on the logical structure of the schema, without having to parse the
DDL myself.  For example, it makes it easier to undo
cascading deletes.  Given the foreign_key_list pragma, I can determine the
tables that depend on a given table, and then target triggers to those specific
tables to capture the undo information.

Why get rid of introspection that already exists?  If code space is the big
deal, make it an optional part of the build.

Will

> What's the alternative to that pragma to achieve the same effect?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Will Duquette -- william.h.duque...@jpl.nasa.gov
Athena Development Lead -- Jet Propulsion Laboratory
"It's amazing what you can do with the right tools."