Da: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org [mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org]
Per conto di Simon Slavin
Inviato: domenica 12 dicembre 2010 20:38
A: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Oggetto: Re: [sqlite] Lock problem opening a Sqlite db on a Samba/CIFS
shared disk

On 12 Dec 2010, at 7:09pm, Marco Turco wrote:

> I am having a problem running my Window Sqlite app on Mac OS X with
> Wine emulator.
>
> It runs well in local but when I try to access to a network disk
> hosted on Windows XP

The Wine emulator is an excellent emulator but it doesn't correctly emulate
all the obscure elements of Windows.  Please try it on a proper Windows
computer.

> I checked on internet about this and as I know Sqlite at this moment
> doesn't support the Samba/CIFS disk with reference to the locking system.

Sorry, I don't know.  However if you have both Mac and Windows clients
trying to access the database simultaneously, you should be very careful
with your settings for oplocks and such things.  Perhaps someone with
experience of that kind of setup can help.

> I am really in trouble because I have more than 50 customers with
> mixed network (Windows/Mac OS X) having this problem in the next future.

I know this is not what you asked but I have advice.  If you have users with
more than 5 or ten computers trying to access the database simultaneously,
you may want to use a proper multi-user SQL engine instead of SQLite.  If
you use a SQL engine with client/server architecture no disk locking is
done: the only computer actually accessing the database files is the server.

I'm not saying that SQLite will fail, I'm saying that MySQL (and several
similar systems) are specially designed for simultaneous multi-user access,
and they do the job without having to worry about file locking and access
from different types of computer.

Simon.