Pavel, I really appreciate you hanging with me on this subject. I can sometimes
be a bit thick and your patience in dealing with my situation is greatly
appreciated.

The data I am using is a very small set of names pulled from an InDesign
document text frame.  They look like this:

John Darnell
Patrick O'Reilley
William Roberts
Patricia Smith

   So you can see that all the characters in the data are ASCII characters.

  Nevertheless your point is well-taken that the data could be something other
than UTF8, especially since InDesign uses a WideString class internally.  I'm
pretty sure I have taken the steps that need to be taken to transform the
WideString objects to basic_string objects, but that is an assumption that
needs to be tested, and I am working on a way to do that right now.

Supposedly, basic_string deals with nothing other than UTF8 strings.  That has
been my assumption until now.  I will let you know what I figure out.  Soon.

R,
John