If you are treating this as an XCode project, I wonder if there is a
preference somewhere that is appending extensions to the existing source
files that are imported into the project? I get the sense that something
is wrong with the project settings/preferences. Unfortunately I can't
prove it.

I have XCode 3.x on my MacBook Pro and it compiles large source code
tarballs just fine. (Notice I am making a distinction between an "XCode
project" and a "source code tarball".)

I download my source code as a tar.gz archive,

decompress it with 'tar -xvzf tarball.tar.gz',

cd into the source directory,

and then

./configure
[possibly install dependency software at this point, then repeat
./configure]
make
make install

You should be able to do something similar with the SQLite source code.
I've done that often enough in the past -- on Linux, and possibly on the
MacBook, too, I'll have to check it.

Bob Cochran