On 28 Sep 2011 at 00:25, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Tim Streater <t...@clothears.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 27 Sep 2011 at 18:15, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

>>> Really?  Have you actually measured this to see if it makes a difference?
>>> What happens if you never VACUUM?
>>
>> They'll get bigger and bigger. I imagine the users (if I ever have any)
>> would start complaining.

> You know that SQLite automatically reclaims and reuses space from rows you
> DELETE and tables you DROP, right?
>
> VACUUM repacks and defragments the database file.  The repacking might make
> the file a little smaller, but probably not that much.  Defragmenting might
> help performance, but again, probably not that much.  Hence I ask:  have you
> actually measured the difference?

No, I've done no tests. I'm not concerned that each database be down to its
smallest possible size, merely that the app have a mechanism that, from time to
time, compresses certain databases through which most of the apps traffic flows
(so, plenty of rows being added and deleted).

I'm sure I'm doing the VACUUMing unnecessarily often, but for simplicity I
simply put all the timer based housekeeping in one pot. I think now I'll
arrange to do that one aspect much less frequently.

--
Cheers  --  Tim