On 09 Oct 2011 at 17:00, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 9 Oct 2011, at 4:52pm, Tim Streater wrote:
>
>> At present, I'm using PDO and setting it to throw exceptions. So I have a
>> try/catch around all my $dbh->query and in there, log what happened and
>> where, report to the user and then give up. I haven't looked closely at the
>> SQLite3 interface in PHP but it wasn't obvious whether I can use the same
>> exception mechanism or not. I'll have to see how to incorporate this in my
>> app but for now I'm giving up on multiple statements in one call to the
>> interface.
>
> When you move from toy software to professional software, it becomes all about
> the error-handling.

Quite. Which is why a data-aquisition package I wrote some 20 years ago in C
typically ran for 11 months unattended at a time (only the annual site-wide
power-outage took it down).

But closer investigation of the SQLite3 interface does not reveal an equivalent
to the FetchAll method available under PDO. The salient point here is that I
need to know the number of rows in the result set before I start processing it.
So I guess I'm sticking with PDO. :-)

--
Cheers  --  Tim