On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Think is, it's possible to do it right.  It's just that doing it right
> means every operation takes two or three times as long as the slightly buggy
> implementations we have now.  And people prefer fast-but-buggy.

A slight elaboration: Simone does not mean to imply that locking over
networked filesystems is necessarily fast per se, but that "doing it right"
would be slower than "fast but buggy." i once had a relatively simple app
whose runtime increased 100x+ over NFS when locking was enabled, even though
it only made a few lock/unlock calls.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/