Fabian schrieb am 09.11.2011 23:10:
I'm running these tests on a very simple database: 1 table and 1 column, so
ANALYZE shouldn't have any effect. And I already tested running VACUUM on
the database, but it didn't help (which seems logical, because I start with
a fresh db each time).

Ok, just thought it worth mentioning. But a VACUUMed database may be more efficient if you have multiple columns with multiple indexes because you get a mixed sequence of data and index pages while inserting data. VACUUM rearranges them so that pages belonging to an object are grouped together which in turn helps drawing benefit from prefetching and caching.