On 11/28/2011 4:59 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
On 28 Nov 2011, at 10:44pm, Dave wrote:

On 11/28/2011 4:37 PM, Simon Slavin wrote:
Just to stress that the filename includes the bit after the '.'.  You can have
any number of files with the same part before the '.' but different extensions.
 To tell the operating system which one you want you must include the bit after
the '.'.
  Actually, I knew that. Just having a bit of a multiple crash course...all at
once. I just recently built this pc and have been on XP until recently too. I
do some graphic stuff and have many same named pics with the various .jpg,
.bmp, .gif extensions.
My job involves dealing with lots of people who aren't good at computers and
the fact that, by default, the OS hides file extensions confuses the hell out
of them.  I'm not taking a shot at Windows here: the Macintosh OS does the same
thing.

It also means you see files with names like 'paper.doc.docx.docx.PDF'.

Simon.

I hear you... I once had a shareware app that I bought that the guy that coded it had a weird way of saving progress by nesting folders all named the same. I was watching a backup app once and thought, wtf, when I saw \Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\\Folder1\. I am pretty good with computers actually but still can get caught looking like a nob here and there. :-) I am one of the guys that was a diehard VB6 Classic user and when I upgraded to .NET 2002 I was instantly mad at the so called VB7 as it was nothing like the upgrade we were expecting or wanting. I got the $20 update for .NET 2003 and looked at it and stayed with VB6 Classic. I looked at Delphi, RealBASIC, and PowerBasic, and realized I like VB. Now I thought I better get caught up before Win8 starts messing with legacy apps. And as far as data base programming, I am still a noob. I read all the thick Access books years ago and spent a lot of time trying to learn but always reached a point where I got totally confused when it came to design and primary and foreign keys and relationship designer views. So here I go again. I don't give up easy.
Thanks,
Dave