On 12 Jan 2012, at 3:52pm, Hajo Locke wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> shell command rather than writing a loop in perl.  I'm happy your system
>> mostly works so far, but I would still feel nervous using anything which
>> depended on frequent use of shell execution in a server.  Starting and
>> stopping shell sessions is extremely expensive in terms of processing time
>> and memory.  I recommend you look into either writing proper perl code, or
>> making use of a language which can use the proper SQLite API.
>
> i will think about it.
> is there somewhere a dbi example for loading pcre-extension before executing
> sql?
> i dont find any helpful pages.
> or just run ".load /usr/lib/sqlite3/pcre.so" with the do method of dbi?

The dot commands (like '.load') are interpreted by the command-line tool.
They're not understood by the SQLite library.  So whatever API you use needs to
have its own command for loading SQLite extensions.  You might take a look at
the perl DBI library and see if it has a way to load extensions.

On the other hand, it looks like all that extension does is implement some
regex stuff, and you might be able to do what you want to do with SQLite's
"LIKE" operator.

Simon.