On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM, John Elrick <john.elr...@fenestra.com>wrote:

> Much better.  I wasn't sure which version to incorporate the changes into
> (the link is to the source), so I put them into 3.7.9.
>
> The total mallocs have dropped to 1.5 million -- twice as high as 3.7.5 but
> in line.  I'll have to run some additional performance testing but visually
> the system appears to be a lot closer to expected.
>
> What was going on? (My client will want a report on the resolution).

The SQLite byte-code engine was being too conservative and was reparsing
the schema in places where it was not strictly necessary.  The fix was to
restrict the places where the schema was reparsed to situations that really
needed it.

I cannot give more detail without seeing your application, since I still
don't know exactly what you are doing to trigger the excess reparsing.  The
patch above comes from a script of my own that I finally managed to put
together that caused unnecessary schema reparsing.  It took a specific
combination of events:  A schema change inside of a transaction followed by
DML statements that had been prepared prior to the schema change.

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm testing a candidate fix for your problem now.  I'll send you a link
> > > once the tests finish (assuming they all work).
> >

> > Please try http://www.sqlite.org/src/info/11f68d997d and let me know if
> it
> > solves your problem.  Thanks.
> >
> > --