On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:28:03PM -0500, f...@cetussoft.com scratched on the
wall:

> I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
> mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".

  As I understand it, the "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation is part of
  the ISO standard for SQL.

> Is there a consensus here? (Yes, I know that pronunciation matters little
> on a mailing list.)

  If you want to be real formal, it does (which means, for a mailing
  list, I guess it doesn't).

  When I was working on "Using SQLite" I got into a discussion with my
  editor about the usage "an SQL statement" vs "a SQL statement." (or
  "an SQLite database"... it goes on an on).

  We ended up going with "an SQL..." because it is more correct for the
  "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation.

   -j

"Intelligence is like underwear: it is important that you have it,
 but showing it to the wrong people has the tendency to make them
 feel uncomfortable." -- Angela Johnson