On 28 Feb 2013, at 7:02pm, "Jay A. Kreibich" <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 06:28:03PM -0500, f...@cetussoft.com scratched on the
> wall:
>
>> I guess, to some extent, it may depend on whether one pronounces (or
>> mispronounces) "SQL" as "see-kwel" or as "ess-kyoo-ell".
>
>  As I understand it, the "ess-cue-ell" pronunciation is part of
>  the ISO standard for SQL.

Database professionals have been pronouncing it as 'sequel' ('see kwel') for
years.  They might be seen as 'the old guard' and ISO as the young
standardisers fighting against them.  I don't know.  First paragraph of first
answer:

<http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/SQL_FAQ#What_is_SQL_and_where_does_it_come_from.3F>

Pronunciation is a problem with IT professionals because they get much of their
information from written sources.  In fact I have used half a dozen computing
technologies where I've never heard their names pronounced.  Perhaps technical
English is getting more like German, which is a written language which people
try to talk, rather than English, which is a spoken language which people try
to write down.

I was once asked whether Ministers of Parliament were shouting "here here" or
"hear hear" and I didn't have a clue.  I had to look it up in Hansard.  And
even now I know the answer I don't know how the cry originated.

Simon.