Hi Philip,

Maybe neither of these two thoughts are helpful, but fyi:

1.* Licensing for existing memory vfs.*
Regarding this memory vfs implementation referenced earlier:
       http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.sqlite.general/46450
       http://spserver.googlecode.com/files/spmemvfs-0.1.src.tar.gz
Would it not be worth an email to the author ( gmail user  stephen.nil  )
to see if he might quickly release his code (already open source)  to
public domain or another acceptable license?

2. * Performance of existing solutions.*
*
*
Regarding, "*I would like to avoid saving the data out to a temporary disk
file... That seems wasteful** to me*"
I can certainly understand why you'd write that, but it's different from
saying, "I've tested that solution (or put numerical bounds on its maximum
likely performance) and found its performance to be unacceptable for my
intended use."

Of course, using sqlite at all for your purpose (mainly to avoid writing
custom sorts, as I understand) is wasteful in some sense of the word -- but
I suspect its nevertheless an entirely appropriate application.

One of Donald Knuth's famous quotes was, "Premature optimization is the
root of all evil (or at least most of it) in programming."

If there's a chance that's applicable here (maybe its not), then since the
code to backup to a temp file is already present, would it be worth a try?

Respectfully,
    Donald G.  (definitely NOT Donald K!)