playerid INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
name TEXT,
rank INTEGER);

CREATE TABLE leagueplayers(
playerid INTEGER,
leagueid INTEGER,
current_rank INTEGER
original_rank INTEGER);

The fields rank, current_rank and original_rank are recent addition to the
schema.
Now the players table is populated with data and I wrote the following
query to populate the leagueplayers table:

INSERT INTO leagueplayers SELECT players.playerid, %d, ... ORDER BY
players.rank;

Now my language of choice is C++ and what I'm looking for is a way to
populate the current_rank and original_rank in the leagueplayers table.
They should come up as auto-incremented values.
So in the "INSERT INTO" query instead of "..." I should have some kind of
function or something that will give me values of 1,2,3,4 and so forth.

Is there a way to do that or I will have to change the query to do a
transactional routine?

Thank you.