On 30 Oct 2013, at 8:37am, Raheel Gupta <raheel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> email VARCHAR(255) UNIQUE NOT NULL
> }
>
> I wanted to know if I create an INDEX for the column "email" what isg going
> to be the extra space the index will occupy ?

Two things:

A) SQLite interprets "VARCHAR(255)" as "TEXT".  Each value does not take up 255
bytes of space.  The amount of space taken up varies with the length of the
value.

B) By insisting on your email values being unique you have already required
SQLite to make up an index for the column.  SQLite needs that index so that
when you do an INSERT it can quickly check to see that the value you use
doesn't already exist.

So creating another index on the same thing would just be a waste of space.

Simon.