On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 5:49 PM, James K. Lowden
> <jklow...@schemamania.org>wrote:
> I suspect that adding msync() calls would wipe out any speed advantage for
> using memory-mapped I/O.  And since speed is the only advantage to memory
> mapped I/O and because there are many disadvantages, I don't see a use-case
> for trying to make mmap work on OpenBSD.

msync() with MS_SYNC will definitely destroy performance, so don't do that.

msync() with MS_ASYNC and/or MS_INVALIDATE are generally no-ops when
the OS and *filesystem* implement a shared cache.  The extra cost
here, then, is the cost of a system call (plus whatever work has to be
done to determine that the call is a no-op).

Nico