On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
> OpenBSD lacks a coherent filesystem cache.  That is to say, changes to a
> file made using write() are not necessarily reflected in mmap-ed memory
> right away.  And change to a mmap-ed segment are not necessarily reflected
> in subsequent read() operations.

Availability of unified caches are not entirely a function of the OS;
the OS may support it but the filesystem might not.

The right thing to do is to msync() with MS_INVALIDATE in this case.
It should be a no-op when the OS+filesystem implement a unified cache.
 It will be expensive when they don't.  I don't recall if there's a
portable way to find out if the OS+filesystem provide a unified cache.

Nico