If no directory is specified, the current directory should be used.  If no
filename is specified then no file should be used.

Introduction of magic is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, bad.

It is why Steve Ballmer got his ass handed back to him on a platter and Windows
is in the throws of death, the current version having sold only 26 copies.  No
one likes illogical magic.

Deliver a clue-by-four to the stupid in blinking red text if you must take pity
on the addle, but they have to learn something about computers sometime.  Now
might be the time.  (and if you make blinking red text, then make a way to
permanently disable it like an environment variable IDIOTMODE=OFF or
DOWHATISAYANDONLYWHATISAY=YES or MAGIC=OFF or something like that so that
normal people are not inconvenienced by the need to cater to the clueless by
arbitrary and illogical behaviour)