On 20 Feb 2014, at 1:56pm, Patrick Proniewski <pat...@patpro.net> wrote:

> Thanks for you reply. In fact I would like the script to remain portable. I'm
> running all this on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (sqlite3 3.6.12) but I plan to share it
> and use it on FreeBSD too. And developing a extension is probably out of my
> reach :)

I don't think the thing you want to do can be done easily within SQLite.  I
would expect to see it done in whatever programming language you're using.

One approach would be to save two columns when you extract from EXIF.  One has
exactly the text from the EXIF column.  Another would be to save the factor as
a REAL number.  Do some string processing to get the bit before the '/' and the
bit after it, and divide one by the other.

You might be able to do the same calculation inside SQLite but it'll be horrid
to look at.  Something like

SELECT
expTime,substr(expTime,1,instr(expTime,'/'))/substr(expTime,instr(expTime,'/')+1)
 AS etAsReal FROM photos

Simon.